A 12-volt battery speed control device from Woodward is model 8290-190. It comes from the manufacturer’s Electrically Powered Governor series and operates as part of a complete EPG system. These systems designed for prime movers include a speed control device, in addition to an actuator and magnetic pickup. Model 8290-190 does not use a start fuel limit.
Operating specifications for this device include;
- A 3000 to 6000 Hz speed range.
- Compatible with diesel engines.
- System battery voltage of 12 volts.
- Compatible with 512 and 712 actuator models.
- Operates with switch-selected dual dynamics.
- Works with load-sharing accessories.
- Minimum of a 5A battery charger.
Speed control model 8290-190 can handle high heat and can be mounted close to the battery and actuator of the engine. Wires that can be used for installation are 12AWG and 14AWG wires, as long as all length requirements are followed. When mounted, it should be kept in a well-ventilated space without the danger of being hit by moving devices. Model 8290-190 is an isochronous device that is no longer made by the manufacturer. However, it is currently available through sources like AX Control. AX Control will buy, sell, and repair these devices, and offer a three-year warranty with each purchase.